Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Can You Afford to Outsource?

Let's say I would like to outsource the chore of replying to all my emails. I spend 2 hours daily replying to my email. If, for example, my salary is $10 per hour, I would therefore be spending $20 of my time daily replying to email. Now, what's a reasonable amount for me to spend if someone else is doing it for me? Simple--it has to be lesser than 1/3 of my own cost doing the same thing. Come up with your own figures that make sense for you. One thing you need to keep in mind: there are some projects on which you will not be able to put monetary value by comparing it with your own hourly rate. These projects are those which need to be done regardless of costs, such as redesigning your website, producing a professional-looking eBook from your word document, etc. To answer the many other outsourcing questions you may have, I have decided to write more posts on this subject. Today, I will give you my opinion on how much you should be spending on outsourcing. If you are willing to spend any amount on outsourcing, you could go ahead and do it but it would not be a good personal finance decision. When I outsource something, monetary value is very important to me and I would not outsource anything unless I am totally satisfied with the money I am spending.

7 comments: